AfteSfter two and a half days in Naxos, I am ready to leave. Not because i haven't enjoyed my time there, but more because all I have done is relax and be lazy. At Keith and Marias or Lucie and Peters, I would relax for awhile during the day and then be productive in some way by either doing dishes or sweeping the floor. I simply can not stand to do nothing - not activate - for long periods of time. It's actually impressive Naxos got me to sit idle for as long as it did, but now it's time to go.
At 6pm, under a full moon, the ferry pulls into the harbor of the island and cars, trucks and people swarm onto it. I can't imagine the absolute chaos this process must be during high tourist season, but they do this day in and day out, so they must have everything down pat by now. After I board, I grab a beer from the roof deck bar and watch as they pull the massive gate up while the "caution" music plays it's flutter of nursery rhyme chimes. I toast Naxos as it fades away and thank it for being what I needed it to be. Then I settle into a seat and delve into the latest girlie rom-com book I have downloaded.
Arriving in Athens close to midnight after the six hour trip, I notice that half of the people disembarking are young and dressed to go out - black pants, halter top and all. While I am exhausted and just want a bed, these people are about to go out for a night on the town, which, if they live on the islands, I can understand. Everyone knows everyone on the island and your ability to be anonymous and do things slightly out of character are nil. I can see how Athens would appeal to these people in that way and I envy their energy. After catching the metro from the port to the station nearest my hotel, I walk out from the subway and into the square where everyone appears to be partying and having a grand time. And again, all I want is my hotel and a bed. Man, I'm getting old.
In the morning, I wake not having had much sleep because the hotel walls are so thin you could have a conversation with the person in the next room without leaving your own. I heard someone sneeze somewhere and I said "bless you" out loud in reply - I'm pretty sure they heard me. I check out and head to the metro, again, to go to the airport. The Athens metro itself is incredibly clean. Compared to DC or Rome, the thing is downright spotless. So is the airport. Both are incredibly well kept and contrast so completely with the rest of the city that they seem like two different worlds.
Another confusing aspect of my travels, is Athens (and Italian for that matter) airport security. While they check your boarding pass to make sure you actually have one to let you into the initial area of the airport, they at no time check your identification until after you are through security and boarding the plane. The security screening process is more thorough that any other so far. They make me take my camera out and detach the lens. They check that my iPad is actually an iPad. But my identify? Nah, not interested.
The flight itself is completely without incident and because this is an EU flight, we exit the airport without passing through customs or additional security. There will be no Greece stamp in my passport, I realize now. But I'm going back someday - and next time WITH someone. There are so only so many sunsets you can watch by yourself before you want to stab yourself repeatedly in the eye with a dull spoon. There were three splendid ones in Naxos and I although it was somewhat lonely, loneliness and I seem to have called a truce for now. 67 days into my trip and I'm finally coming to grips with being alone. Great timing. But being at the Temple of Apollo on Naxos, one of the oldest remnants left standing on the island, I couldn't help but notice it's romantic pull. Because it is low season, I had the entire area to myself, the entire sunset, to myself. I thought about all of the engagements that had probably taken place where I was sitting. How many anxiety ridden men had put their heart on the line and how many ecstatic women had their hearts leap out of their chest with the question. But like I said, loneliness and I have waived the white flag, so I think about all of these imaginary couples and am happy for them. Bitterness and I have also apparently buried the hatchet. For now.
Back in Rome, I find myself in familiar territory. I'm staying at the same hostel as last week, so I know exactly where I am going and what I am doing. There's a first time for everything. In the week that I have been gone, the Christmas decorations have been put up and the air seems to have gotten a bit crisper. With the thought of the holidays creeping up all I can think of is my friends and family and how much I can not wait to be landing in Philadelphia. It's time to come home.
No comments:
Post a Comment