Every time I am home, my mother and I have a very specific ritual. We go to Perkins for breakfast/brunch, split a blueberry muffin and catch up on life. This time was no different. After we ordered our standard omelets and eggs benedict - with hash browns extra crispy, thank you - she handed over a present wrapped in a gray Kohl's bag. As soon as she had it half way across the table to hand it to me, I knew exactly what it was. I had seen the book cover more times than I could count when I had read it over and over. Good old, Eat Pray Love (anyone noticing a theme here or is it just me?). I pulled it out of the bag and thanked her many times, but started to explain to her how I already had a copy I had lent to a friend and if I really needed to read it again, I could download it to my iPad. I didn't get two words into my excuses before she told me to look at the first page. I assumed she had written a really nice note to me regarding my trip; some motherly words to make any nerves about going abroad a bit more soothed and would sign it, "Love Mom". There was a note. But not from my mom. And there was a signature. But not from my mom. Instead, there was a short inscription printed in black, "To Kari Holloway - may every step of your journey be blessed." Signed "Liz". As in Elizabeth Gilbert. Pretty cool, huh? I was really touched my mom had made an effort to go to a book signing of some sort and stand in line for me. I thanked her again, but before I got too many thank you's in, she started to tell the story.
Yes, she confirmed, two weeks ago I drove out to Frenchtown, New Jersey, a little over an hour away, with a few of my friends to visit Elizabeth's store, Two Buttons. It was her last day in the States before a two month tour of Europe and she was supposed to be autographing books that day. But she wasn't there. She wasn't able to make it because of a change in schedule, she left for Europe early. Now, if any one knows my mom, they know that she does not give up easily - which she readily admits to and is just one of her many great charms. So, she finds the manager and explains the situation of wanting to get the autograph and asks if there is any other way to get the book signed. Well, she says, "Jose," and points to another corner of the store, "is in the shop, you could ask him to sign it in Liz's place." Side note: for those of you that don't know, Jose is the real name of Felipe in the book, like, The Guy. My mom walks up to the man (on her second try, she got the wrong guy the first time) and asks if he is Jose. He confirms. An incredibly cheerful and energetic man, she explains how she has driven up from suburban Philly, tells of my trip to Italy and then politely asks if he could sign her book. Before responding, he asks my mom about my trip, where am I going, for what reason, etc. She explains that I live in Austin - he nods, knowing the place well because of Liz's friend in the book, Richard - where I have a good job and a good life, but there was something different I wanted to do, even for just a short time, which, through a series of events, has lead to Italy. She explains about my desire to avoid tourism as much as possible, to instead visit farms, live with normal people, and see what Italian culture is like. He lights up a bit on these details and lowers his voice a bit. "Liz hasn't quite left yet, I'm actually having lunch with her today before she goes. Give the book to me and I'll make sure she signs it. Will you be around until about 2:30? I should have it back here by then." My mom agrees, hands over the book and goes to have lunch with her girlfriends to pass the time. Back at Two Buttons, at 2:37pm, my mom returns to the book signed as shown below.
Now that's a good story. Thanks Mom.

No comments:
Post a Comment